When you get into a car, you risk being involved in a car accident. Cars are powerful, and controlling and maneuvering them is a huge responsibility.
That’s why you could be seriously injured or worse if you are involved in a collision. Thankfully, you may be liable for compensation that could offset the financial effects of a car accident.
What Are Back Injuries?
Back injuries occur due to damage or impact on the back’s bones, muscles, or tissues. Car accidents can cause many back injuries ranging from minor back aches and sprains to worse injuries such as herniated spinal discs or immobility.
These injuries generally occur because of sudden movements like the impact of a collision. The speed at which the car is travelling affects the kind and severity of the injury.
This is the reason for the host of awareness campaigns surrounding issues relating to speeding on our roads.
Determining Your Back or Spinal Injury
After your car accident, you should visit your doctor. Depending on your symptoms, they will authorise an X-ray, CT,s or MRI scan.
After your car accident, you could experience the following:
- Muscle spasms: The muscle might constantly twitch and feel knotted or tender. Muscle spasms can range from minor to debilitating.
- Burning pain: A searing sensation may travel from your back and buttocks to the behind of one or both legs. It could be a mild pain that disappears instantly or a burning sensation that remains for days.
- Stiffness: You could lose some flexibility after a motor vehicle accident due to your muscles tensing up to safeguard your body. This stiffness might go away after you stretch or continue all day.
- Sharp pain: Switching positions, such as standing, waking or sitting up, might cause intense soreness in your back.
- Discomfort when moving or standing: Any physical movement is uncomfortable in certain instances. You could feel throbbing or dull pain when trying to go about your day.
- Tingling or numbness: Your spinal cord is linked to your extremities. So tense muscles might pinch nerves resulting in a tingling feeling or numbness in your legs, feet, arms, or hands.
If you experience any of these symptoms, getting a doctor’s medical opinion on its severity and any treatment required is best.
What Can You Claim?
Depending on how bad your back injury is, you might be able to claim the following compensation:
- Medical costs
- Rehabilitation fees
- Loss of earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Cost of medical care and assistance
You must keep invoices for the cost of the above-mentioned items to substantiate your claim.
Can You Claim Compensation?
You might be entitled to back injury compensation if you were involved in a car accident that was ultimately not your fault or not entirely your fault.
Just be careful. There are strict timeframes that apply. Make sure that you get legal assistance as soon as possible to avoid losing your right to claim.
How Do You Claim for Back Injury Compensation?
Before instituting a back injury compensation claim, ensure you have all supporting documentation.
This can be witness statements, medical certificates, and video footage.
At Smith’s Lawyers, we have knowledgeable compensation lawyers who won’t just help you get the compensation you might be entitled to. We will also help you find the best rehabilitation facilities. This way, you can experience health and financial recovery simultaneously.