Car tires are fairly easy to buy, as there are thousands of different brands and models of tires for you to choose from in just one auto parts store. However, choosing the best and most suitable tires for your car is challenging, as you would need to know the intricacies of your car and the wheels you are buying to make the right choice. When you purchase the wrong set of wheels, there is a big chance that it would cause damage to your car, which could lead to accidents on the road.
It is very important for you to get the best tires for your vehicle, as it can make your driving safer and more efficient. To help you have a much easier time choosing, we are here to provide you with some advice on what to look for in tires. So, without further ado, here are tips for choosing the best tires for your car.
Also check out tractor tires as well.
What to Look For
The easiest way to determine which tires are suitable for your vehicle is to inspect the car’s original wheels and make accurate measurements. To make sure that the tire measurements are correct, you can bring one original tire with you to an auto repair shop and ask for a mechanic that will determine the size and the type of tires that your vehicle has.
Many newbies to tire-changing usually opt to buy direct replacement tires to make purchases faster and simpler. However, if the reason why you need to change tires is that the original tires get damaged easily, then it would be best to find a more durable and reliable alternative, which is what third-party tire makers provide.
If you truly want the best tires for your care, then you will need to be willing to spend more than your average budget. It is common for the best tires to have a relatively high price, so keep that in mind whenever you are on a hunt for new tires.
Reading and watching reviews online can also help in making decisions faster, as you will already know what your desired tires are capable of through the stress tests performed by the reviewers. In addition to reviews, you can also ask your friends if they can recommend specific models and brands of tires.
Choosing the Correct Tire Size
Picking the correct tire size is essential, as tires that are too wide or too tight around the wheels can cause problems to the car. To get a better idea of what tire size to look for, you can read your vehicle’s owner’s manual, which indicates the type and size of the original tires installed. When you consult the owner’s manual, it would sometimes have this label: “P225/60R16 98T.”
The numbers and letters written on the label indicate specific aspects of the tire that is installed. The “P225” indicates the width of your tires in millimeters, while the “/60” label indicates the aspect ratio of the tire, which is 60%. The “R” means that the tire has radial construction, and the “16” indicates that the tire is made to fit in wheels that are 16 inches in diameter. Lastly, the “98T” shows the load index of the tire (98), as well as its speed rating (T).
You can take note of the tire label and consult the auto parts shop about it so that they can assist you in purchasing the correct tire size for your car.
Types of Tires
Now that you understand how the tire label works, you will have a much easier time picking the best type of tires for your vehicle. Here are a few of the popular tires you can purchase.
- All-Season Tires – as their name suggests, all-season tires are suitable for withstanding any kind of mild weather conditions, like light snow or rain. All-season tires are arguably the most common tires you can buy in stores. These tires would have S and T speed ratings indicated on their label.
- Summer Tires – these tires are typically installed in sports cars and performance-focused vehicles, as they are more durable than all-season tires. However, they are designed to be used only in the summer or dry roads and not for winter or snowy terrain. Summer tires should have W, Y, and ZR speed ratings on the label.
- Performance All-Season Tires – an upgraded version of all-season tires, performance all-season tires focus more on durability and looks. Most people that are looking for replacement tires tend to buy performance all-season tires since they are more durable and they often look better than the original all-season tires installed on their car. These performance tires would also have S and T speed ratings.
- All-Terrain Tires – these tires are normally found in trucks and other large-sized vehicles because they are bigger than all-season tires. All-terrain tires have aggressive tread patterns that make them perfect for off-road driving, as they can grip the surface better. These tires have an “A/T” label, which means “All Terrain.”
- Winter Tires – also known as snow tires, these are commonly installed for cars used during the winter season. Much like all-terrain tires, winter tires have aggressive tread patterns that allow them to have a stable grip even on slippery and snowy roads.
So, there you have it, some of the things that you need to look for and consider when choosing the best tires for your car. Remember, don’t skimp on buying tires, as you would need the best, the most durable, and the most reliable tires your vehicle can have so you will have a better and safer time driving.