Your car’s appearance can be very important, so you want to find the best way to protect the appearance of its paint. There are many ways to do this, but one of the best and most popular ways is applying 3M paint protection. But before you acquire a 3M window tint, questions about the vehicle installment will naturally arise, and getting the information on this tint will help you decide whether it would be beneficial for your car.
Find out everything you need to know about 3M window tinting, why it’s installed, and how long it will last on your vehicle before getting a replacement.
What is 3M paint protection?
3M paint protection (or PPF) is designed to protect your car’s paint against the damaging effects of the sun. It is made of two products: 3M instant glass and 3M liquid glass. Combining those products protects your car from sun, rain and other environmental factors. In addition to sun and rain, 3M liquid glass protects your vehicle from the effects of UV rays, as extended exposure to these rays could cause the colours of your car’s paint to fade or to look preemptively dull.
Besides its ability to protect your car from UV ray exposure, another advantage is to prevent bird droppings or tree sap from damaging your paint. 3M instant glass coats your car with a barrier that will shield your car’s body from the road’s surface. It prevents grit and dirt from getting into cracks in the car’s paint or underneath the paint. If anything–no matter how minute–can get in or under your paint job, that can cause permanent damage to your car’s finish. Together, these two products combine to create a glossy finish that looks great on bumpers and on the metallic parts of your car. This product can be used to protect the paint of any type of vehicle.
Some of the other advantages included when you install 3M paint protection can consist of:
- Long-term protection: Much like a home window tint, 3M PPF provides protection for a long time because it’s made of a polymer that resists the sun’s potential damage or other weathering effects. Since it is made from polymer, it is very durable. You won’t have to worry about replacing it or having it damaged by water or other chemicals. 3M PPF is durable enough to resist scratching effectively. Its ability to resist scratches is better than other products today.
- Coordinate with your existing system: 3M PPF services work seamlessly with the existing systems of your car. For example, it can work with your air conditioner or heating system without affecting its function.
- Cost-effective: The paint protection system protects your car’s exterior and interior surfaces cost-effectively. The product is available in many sizes, so you can choose the best size for your car. It is also easy to install on your car.
- Application: 3M PPF does not require special skills or tools to apply, so it can easily be installed on your car. Its application doesn’t require special knowledge. You do need to follow the manufacturer’s instructions to apply the paint protection to your vehicle, but the instructions are clear and easy to follow.
How Long Will It Last?
The warranty for the paint protection product is for ten years, but its true durability depends on how you use and care for your vehicle.
Here are some of the factors that affect the length of time your PPF will last:
- Surface prep before installation: Your paint protection service will not be able to endure for a long time if the car’s surface was not correctly prepped before it was installed. Before installing the 3M PPF, the surface of the vehicle needs to be completely free of all debris and grit. If any contaminating materials remain on the surface, it will detract from both the effectiveness and the endurance of the protection.
- Application process: The application’s method and efficiency will greatly affect how long the treatment will last. Because the polymer is heavy, it can place a physical toll on the installer. And if debris is on the surface despite your prep, small bubbles will form on your car’s surface. These bubbles will cause the film to break down and negate the purpose of its installation.
- Environmental agents: Although PPF is resistant to UV rays and heat, there is a limit to how much direct sunlight it can withstand. It can also become degraded by acid rain or too many bird droppings.
In conclusion, paint protection offers a way to protect your car’s paint and window tinting. It is estimated to last ten years, but several factors could detract from its endurance.