About 1.3 million people are dying in car accidents worldwide every year. That’s a daily average of 3,287 deaths, wherein two young adults (15 to 44 years old) account for over fifty percent of all road traffic deaths. If you’re involved in a car accident, a personal injury lawyer must be sought immediately.
Below are ways how a personal injury lawyer can help you in a car accident.
Ability to Expertly Assess Claims
Personal injury attorneys handle accident claims and inform potential clients whether or not their claims are viable. An accident attorney advises potential clients about the best legal action to pursue.
The policy limits of insurance coverage play an important role in the expected amount of compensation in a car accident injury claim. Your personal injury lawyer will assess if your claim is best for settlement or proceed to trial.
Here are the potential damages that a lawyer will assess to be covered by a personal injury claim:
- Vehicle Damage: Insurance companies assess vehicle damage in determining the value of a claim. An insurer can argue that a barely damaged car could not result in serious injuries. However, a personal injury lawyer will check your medical records to assess the severity of your condition to fight your claim.
- Medical Expenses: Any medical bills, including prescription medications and rehabilitative procedures, should be included in the damages.
- Lost Income or Earning Capacity: Your personal injury lawyer can file compensatory damages to recover lost income and future income due to the accident. It also includes compensation for the inability to earn because of permanent injuries.
- Pain and Suffering: It covers discomfort and physical pain that stem from the accident, your medical treatment, and your injuries. Also, it encompasses psychological and mental effects like loss of sleep, anxiety, fear, and post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD.
- Loss of Consortium or Loss of Enjoyment: This is filed by the spouse of the injured victim. A car accident may cause loss of spouse’s support and physical companionship, and the impact of the incident on the relationship determines the amount of compensation awarded to the affected spouse.
Handle Communications with Insurance Companies
Most often than not, the interests of insurance companies and the injured parties don’t align after a car accident. Handling communications with insurance companies by yourself may cause confusion, and your claim might be denied. So, if you don’t have enough experience dealing with these matters, it’s best to hire a personal injury lawyer.
A personal injury attorney is an expert when it comes to negotiating with car insurance companies. Thus, when hiring one, you don’t have to be stressed about negotiating. Allow your lawyer to do the job to avoid saying something or being in a position that can harm your claim.
Help You Estimate the Settlement Value
A personal injury lawyer routinely deals with car accident cases like yours with a better idea of the maximum settlement amount for your case. Also, a car accident attorney can tell you if you have realistic expectations or the settlement doesn’t represent the real value of your claim. Be sure to get expert help and check out https://www.kaplunmarx.com/car-accidents/.
A personal injury lawyer is able to discuss the long-term effects that your physical injury may cause, which is an important consideration when assessing a settlement offer. Also, personal injury attorneys have seen several injuries and may recommend medical procedures and tests that may help you recover easily.
Take Your Case Into Court Trial
Once your lawyer estimated the potential amount of your claim, negotiation will take place between your attorney and the insurance adjuster. If the insurance company insists on the reduced amount or keeps denying your claim, a personal injury lawyer will consider taking your case to court.
Some insurance companies prefer to proceed to trial to prevent claims with similar nature from occurring in the future. Also, some insurance companies take cases to court to avoid establishing a company reputation that they always resolve every personal injury claim through settlement.
Your personal injury lawyer will gather all possible evidence to prove your claim and win the case. Most personal injury lawyers are paid through a contingency basis, so a lawyer who knows the strength of your case will fight for it until the end.
Don’t hesitate to consult a personal injury lawyer immediately after a car accident. Instead of putting yourself in a bad position, let a lawyer handle your claim, negotiate with the insurance companies, gather evidence, and fight for your rights and best interests.
You’ll have peace of mind knowing that someone will legally represent you and get the maximum value for your claim.