If you just got a new car, congratulations. But you need to do one more thing; transport your vehicle from the sales yard to your home, especially if it is quite a long distance. Shipping a car comes with several risks. You can avoid some, but others are unavoidable.
One of the ways you can minimize these risks is by hiring a reliable and reputable auto transport company. A good company should offer open and enclosed transport options. This article highlights common risks your car is exposed to during transport and how you can mitigate them. Read on.
While thieves can steal your vehicle during transit, dishonest car transport companies are the greatest risk. According to FMCSA, you can do several things to ensure the safety of your car while in transit:
- Differentiate between carriers and brokers
- Clearly note the registration information of the company
- Analyze your financial transactions
Car transport trucks are designed with safety features that secure the car and make it hard for thieves to access it. The choice of the auto transport company is also crucial in preventing losses from robbery. An ideal company will follow up on such cases and have a compensation plan in place.
In 2020, 4,842 crashes involving big trucks occurred. Therefore, car shipping trucks are prone to accidents. In case of a car crash during transit, your vehicle risks getting damaged.
Unfortunately, accidents can happen due to the negligence of other reckless road users, something your transport company has less control over. This reality isn’t pleasant, but it’s something worth considering. Another cause is poor road conditions. Roads with many potholes increase the chances of accidents. Moreover, frequent shaking could cause damage to your car.
Delays often occur due to bad weather or accidents. Visibility issues and lower tire adhesion may force the driver to slow down, leading to delays. Great truck drivers will always put the safety of your car first by identifying risky situations and taking measures to avoid problems.
You are probably wondering, is there anything you can do to ensure your car reaches its destination safely and without inconveniences?
How to Mitigate These Risks
- Take time to choose the right transport company that offers the best car transport option and is adequately insured and licensed.
- Shop around – don’t settle with the first company you come across; look for several shipping quotes.
- Beware of companies that charge too low prices. When the deal is too good, think twice.
- Take time to prepare your vehicle – remove all your personal items, fold the side mirrors, and deactivate electronic devices.
- Take time to know the driver who will be transporting your vehicle. Know their name and take their phone number
- Keep copies of your car inspection report. You may need them to prove your car was in top condition before transit.
- Make sure the carrier’s driver issues you with a bill of landing. It acts as your receipt and contract.
Cargo transport comes with its share of challenges. Fortunately, reputable vehicle transport companies are conversant with these challenges and have excellent ways to ensure your car reaches you in top condition. American Auto Transport boasts high reliability. When you hire them for transport needs, your car safety will be the least of your worries.