How To Ensure You Keep Your Car Legal


Having a motor vehicle is a big responsibility and making sure you keep this legal and safe is important.  Within the UK, there are various things that you need to be aware of as non-compliance to the laws will have very little sympathy from the local authorities. There are 3 main things that you are required to be able to demonstrate or complete. This includes having the appropriate level of insurance (or if not using the vehicle, declaring this to the DVLA by completing a SORN), ensuring it has the correct level of tax, and ensuring the car is safe in terms of MOT checklist and other regular check-ups.

Let’s look at these factors in more detail.

Vehicle Safety

Every time you drive your car, it is your own responsibility to make sure it is safe.  This includes a car that you may not own. Checks should be completed on a regular basis which include oil and water levels, lights and tyres.

Nowadays, most cars have the technology to let you know if there is an issue. For example, the dashboard will let you know if you need to top up your oil or if you have a tyre that is underinflated.  This shouldn’t be relied upon 100% though, as ultimately it is still the driver’s responsibility to check this.

“MOT & Car Servicing Stockport” is a crucial service that ensures the safety of drivers on the road. Annual completion of MOTs by an approved mechanic is mandatory for all vehicles that require them, and failure to do so may result in the invalidation of your insurance policy. However, new cars within the first 3 years on the road are exempt from requiring MOT & Car Servicing Stockport.

Insurance Cover

There are many different types of insurance policies that driver have available to take out.  Depending on the ownership of the vehicle and what it is being used for will determine what insurance cover you need.

For instance, people that are using the vehicle for business, must have a level of business insurance cover (which includes commuting to work) and people using the vehicle for personal use will have fully comprehensive or third party, fire and theft cover.

On the other hand, if you are a mechanic then you will require motor trade insurance for cars so that you can drive them and they are covered for any accident.

You can use websites such as Quotezone in order to understand the different levels of cover that is required and take out a policy.


The laws have been changing on this in the past few years and depending on the emissions your car omits will determine the car tax you require.  Some people may not even require a level of car tax.  You can find the information out on different tax rates from the DVLA and on their website.  Don’t forget also challenges around inheritance taxes if you own an expensive classic car – learn more at


It is important that you keep yourself up to date with these requirements and any changes to the law will require your compliance to.  The DVLA website is a good place to start and has options to ask questions for any queries that you may have.

Share this


How to Start a Career in Automotive Marketing

Starting a career in automotive marketing offers the chance to combine a passion for cars with strategic and creative skills. This field involves promoting...

The Skills Needed to Be a Professional Car Photographer

Capturing the essence of a car through photography requires more than just technical know-how. It demands a blend of artistic vision, precision, and passion...

The Most Unusual Car Accessories Ever Made

Car accessories have evolved far beyond the basics, with some creations pushing the boundaries of imagination and functionality. From quirky gadgets to bizarre enhancements,...

Recent articles

More like this