We are living in a world where you get to try out new things every day. The rise of technology is
becoming an integral part of our lives. The Artificial Intelligence industry is poised to change the world,
and it has already begun. You have cars which can park themselves, robots which can perform surgery
and smart computers.
So, what happens when a car can drive itself? Are we ready for an automated future? Major car
manufacturers and brands are in a rush to design automated vehicles (AVs). They are looking to
manufacturer AVs to uses as commercial vehicles, taxis, agriculture, personal transportation and so
You will soon be able to go where you like, and your car will be able to do the driving for you, without
you worrying about hitting someone. It’s all automated, and safer – but how long before we can make it
What is an Automated vehicle?
An autonomous vehicle is a car which can guide itself without any human interaction. It is also known as
a robot car, driver less car and a self-driving car.
AVs are built with various types of technology for it to function effectively. Some of the technologies
- AVs have inbuilt GPS to help in navigation.
- They have sensors that help them avoid collisions and other accidents.
- They use augmented reality which is a type of technology that a vehicle uses to display
information to drivers.
In California, 52 companies have been approved by the California Department of Motor Vehicles to test
robot cars on the road. Some of these companies include Uber, Intel, Apple, Waymo, Tesla and Ford.
However, these cars are not yet commercially available on a large scale.
Should autonomous vehicles be on the road?
There has been a constant debate on whether autonomous vehicles are safe and ready for the road.
Regulations have already been set to ensure that every autonomous car has the right standards before it
hits the road. Here is a look at some of the pros and cons of autonomous vehicles.
- The future machines are expected to cut carbon emissions by 60%. Autonomous vehicles are
designed to ensure that fuel is optimized efficiently
- Self-driving cars will reduce the number of accidents caused by reckless drivers and drunk
- The time consumed in driving is expected to reduce. You can now arrive at work on time.
- The cars will help curb traffic thus reducing the amount of fuel and time spent in traffic jams.
- Driver less cars will reduce car parking space, especially in urban areas.
- A lot of people are skeptical about trusting a computer to do all the work.
- Autonomous vehicles are expensive to design and maintain.
- The cars heavily rely on sensors which might fail either due to bad weather and human traffic
- Honestly, you might learn how to drive a car.
The future is here, and it is inevitable. Do you think autonomous vehicles will change our future? Let us
know what you think.