Being in a car accident can be a very dangerous experience, both physically and emotionally, leaving you with injuries, pain, and trauma. Add to this the legal aspect, for which you will need to run around for the case to be solved, with the responsible parties punished and justice granted to you.
To protect yourself from the legal and financial impact of the accident, it is best to engage a good car accident lawyer in Houston who is an expert in handling personal injury cases and will also help navigate you through Houston’s complex accident laws while pursuing the legal process on your behalf.
Knowing your rights as a citizen or a visitor to the city is important and will give you clarity when involved in a car accident, which will help you grasp the chaotic situation on a stronger footing following an accident. Below are some tips advised by expert lawyers regarding the immediate steps you should take after an accident and your basic rights.
Advice from expert lawyers if involved in a car accident:
- Call emergency helplines: As soon as you are able to, call an emergency helpline to report the accident and request an ambulance if you or someone else has been seriously injured. Remember to provide them with your location so that no time is wasted in reaching you. Cooperate with the police by providing them with the correct information. Request a copy of the police report, as it will serve as an important document for your case.
- Medical assistance: In the event you suffer from minor injuries, do not ignore them and seek medical attention by walking into a medical facility. Many times, injuries that seem minor initially can transgress into serious issues after a few days. So, a medical checkup is important to rule out any cause for concern.
- Document the evidence: If it is safe to do so, then film the site of the accident, take photographs, and take the names and contact details of the witnesses on the scene, along with the insurance details of the parties involved in the accident. There are chances for the evidence to get lost or disturbed in the chaos, and witnesses may leave the scene before the police arrive.
- Do not make any statements. The best would be to contact a car accident lawyer in Houston who will guide you through the immediate process, which is important to protect you from legal snarls at a later date. In any case, do not apologize or admit your fault, as this can be interpreted as acknowledging your weakness and accepting responsibility.
- Inform your insurance company: Notify your insurance company about the accident, and be mindful of sticking to the facts without admitting your fault or describing your role in the occurrence of the accident.
- Consult with a legal expert: If you do not have a lawyer, then ask around to find an experienced car accident lawyer. The lawyer will explain your rights in detail, evaluate the case, and inform you of your legal options. In case you decide to pursue the case, your lawyer will investigate the accident, gather evidence, question the witnesses, and procure all relevant documents, like the police report, medical bills, etc., in order to build a strong case.
- Negotiations for compensation: Many people choose to settle out of court to avoid the tedious legal process. Your lawyer, who is an expert in all legal aspects, will negotiate with the other parties for fair compensation for you to cover the expenses of damages, medical bills, loss of work and wages, and pain and suffering. In case the other party reneges on settling out of court, you can file a lawsuit in consultation with and on the advice of your lawyer.
- Legal fees: Houston has many law firms and attorneys who charge their fees only if they win the case. In any case, a good car accident lawyer will not charge you for an initial consultation and will inform you of their fee structure if you decide to pursue the case and retain the lawyer.
A word of caution
Take both medical insurance and car insurance. The priority after an accident is looking after your health and recovery without having to worry about the legal process. So, no matter how well-versed you may be regarding the Texas car accident laws, engage a good lawyer to help you fight for justice with ease, quickly.