You must pay extra attention while buying a convertible car seat for your toddler. These seats usually last for many years. Thus, choosing the correct seat becomes important.
Today we will discuss the options for the safest convertible car seat 2022. However, good seats do not guarantee the on-road safety of a car. Therefore, it is important to have insurance in place to cover unexpected expenses. If you are looking for the best car insurance in Canada, visit Surex now.
Convertible car seats
Convertible car seats can be used for children of various ages. One can change the seat from a rear-facing to a forward-facing seat. Usually, the convertible seat is positioned rear-facing for babies and toddlers, which can later be turned forward-facing as the child grows older. A convertible seat is perfect for your child from day one through their preschool years and more.
When should you get the safest convertible car seat?
Some parents prefer having this seat from the day they have a child. On the other hand, some buy an infant car seat at the beginning and then get a convertible car seat when their toddler has reached the average seat height or minimum weight. Either way, it is your choice.
However, investing in an infant seat makes no sense when you can opt for a one-time investment in a convertible seat.
Things to consider before choosing the best convertible car seat for your child
The best and safest convertible car seats in Canada have to meet the government safety standards. Expensive convertible seats may include numerous advanced features. However, the safest car seat is the one that will fit your child, can be installed easily, and easily fits in your vehicle.
The factors that you need to consider while buying the seats are:
- Safety indicator: Some seats come with leveling systems indicating when they have been correctly installed.
- Consider your car model: The seats vary in size and shape. So you need to consider the space in your car before choosing the seat.
- Installation process: Many car seats can be easily installed with regular seat belts or the LATCH system. Just ensure that the weight is within the limit of your seat’s LATCH system.
- Weight limits: When buying a new convertible car seat, ensure that it has a high back-facing weight limit so that you can use it as long as possible.
- Fabric: Apart from choosing a fabric that matches your car’s interior, you need to consider the durability and washability of the seat.
- Extra safety regulations: Some seats also include extra padding and materials for additional shock absorption.
- New vs. Used seats: It is always recommended that you buy new car seats. However, if you are short on budget, you must buy a used car seat from someone you trust. This is because most used models are damaged and may not be up to the standards regarding safety regulations.
Safest convertible car seat 2022 — Top five options
1. Graco Extend2Fit
The Graco Extend2Fit is one of the best convertible car seats with a good score for crash test analysis. The seat also has good scores for LATCH installation, making them much safer. In addition, the Graco Extend2Fit offers an additional margin of protection over other seats within the range.
The seat can also stay rear-facing for as much as 50 pounds. All these excellent features make it the perfect choice for a safer riding experience.
- Reasonable price
- Best crash test results
- Rear-facing for a longer time
2. Britax’s One4Life
Most parents love Britax’s One4Life due to its cost and convenience. The convertible seat can carry your child from day one into their elementary school years. It can be easily converted from a back-facing infant seat to a forward-facing seat. Moreover, it can also be converted into a high back belt-positioning booster seat. Britax’s One4Life can be used for approximately ten years, which means that it will save a lot of money, time and the trouble of uninstalling and installing numerous seats.
It has a simple installation system that uses your car’s seat belt and an effort-free belt-tightening system. Safety features include a v- shaved tether to help observe the shock in the event of an accident, a steel frame, and a crumple zone.
- Easy to install
- Numerous safety features
- Lasts for almost ten years
3. Nuna RAVA
The Nuna RAVA is a beautiful convertible seat packed with numerous features for the best security and ease of use. The rear-facing limit is 50 lbs. The seat has an extendable calf rest which adds extra inches of legroom for better comfort. The installation is also easy. There are retractable cup holders, harness and breathable net fabric, and ventilation panels.
- Chic and modern design
- Easy to install with the seat belt
- Good for extended rear facing
4. Evenflo Tribute LX
The Evenflo Tribute LX has earned the second best score for combined crash test results and also has a lower price. This unique combination makes it the perfect choice for parents with a tight budget. In addition, the seat has a machine washable cover, one of the strongest buckles, and an easy-to-use vehicle belt pathway.
- Narrow width
- Good crash test results score
5. Evenflo Gold Revolve
The Evenflo Gold Revolve is one of its kind. The seat can swiftly change from rear to forward-facing with the touch of a button. The best part is that the parent does not need to reinstall the seat when they want to make it rear to forward facing.
Other unique features include a full-proof installation system, a top tether belt, and premium fabric.
- 3 Different modes: Rear-facing, booster and Forward Facing
- The seat can rotate 360 degrees for easy in and out
- Once installed, you do not have to worry for up to 10 years.
Safest convertible car seat 2022 — Endnote
Once you buy a convertible car seat, ensure you test out how well it fits in the backseat of your car. If the seat is not working, you can easily exchange and get a new model. It is best to seek some professional help while choosing and installing a convertible seat.
However, amidst the excitement of getting a new accessory, do not forget to protect your vehicle via insurance.