The Ford 302 engine requires a camshaft with specific characteristics. A good cam will deliver the power and performance you need to get your car onto the track or down the road at top speed.
However, it can be challenging to know what is a good cam for 302, without knowing which one best suits your needs. In this article , we will discuss some qualities of a high-quality camshaft that should help you select the right one for your vehicle!
Features of a Good cam for ford 302
First of all, a good camshaft will be matched to the type and make of your engine. The Ford 302 is a popular choice for racing cars and street vehicles, but it’s not wise to put just any cam in there without considering what you want out of your vehicle. So we will discuss some important aspects here.
- A quality adjustable stocker might suit an off-road vehicle better than one with high-performance requirements like those found on race cars. It would be best if you also considered whether you need something specially tuned for light loads or heavy loads – this too varies widely depending on the specific application. Finally, try to match the timing characteristics (i) intake opening point relative to piston position), duration at maximum valve lift), overlap (wherein the exhaust valve is still open and the intake valve has opened) to your engine requirements.
- The other thing we’ll talk about is valve lift. Valve lift is measured in inches, and it’s used to control engine power. The higher the valve lift number, the more power that your engine can produce at any given time. It also increases fuel mileage because there’s less leakage from valves during their open period when they’re not spraying gas into your engine cylinders.
- Exhaust overlap is another essential feature that we’ll talk about today; this measures how close together both sets of valves are during operation because these two positions correspond directly to one another out of time. The closer they come together at any given point, the better performance there’s going to be from your vehicle, as well as improved power output and gas mileage due to emissions reduction.
- A good cam should have a long duration so that when intake valves close again after an exhaust stroke, there’s still plenty of time left on those cylinders’ compression cycle. It means they won’t need as many shots of gas to keep them going until the next exhaust stroke, which will produce a more efficient burn.
- Last but not least, you want both high-lift cams (which open early) and low-duration cams for maximum engine efficiency in terms of fuel consumption. In this way, you’ll get better mileage because less unburned gasoline will escape from each cylinder before its next opening comes around! Be as many unburnt gas particles escaping from them either, which means you’ll get better mileage on the highway because less gasoline will needlessly escape into your tailpipe!
What does a bigger cam do for an engine?
A bigger cam will increase the engine’s horsepower. A bigger camshaft extends the operating range of a cylinder’s valve timing. This allows for more power at higher engine speeds and better torque at lower motor speeds.
How can I get more power out of my 302?
You could modify your camshaft. It will allow you to get more power by increasing the amount of air and fuel that comes into your engine, which is good if you want to make more torque. You can try racing pistons or a top-end kit, but I wouldn’t recommend either those. Instead, look into camshafts and valve springs.
How do I pick the best camshaft?
There are a few things you need to consider when choosing the best camshaft. You have to ask yourself some questions, like what kinds of vehicles I am working on and how much power they make.
You’ve made it to the end of this article, and I hope you feel better about your purchase decision. Now that you know what is a good cam for ford 302 is make sure you choose wisely! Thanks for reading my blog post on finding the perfect camera according to your budget.